Skip to main content

7-Eleven Adds Child Support Payments to Services in Michigan

LANSING, Mich. — 7-Eleven Inc. continues to add to its list of services, with Michigan customers now able to make child support payments at its stores. 

According to the Associated Press, 70 percent of child support payments in the Great Lakes State are made via payroll deductions. But the state is open to all options for the remaining 30 percent.

“We’re interested in making it as easy as possible,” Erin Frisch, director of the state’s child support office, told the news outlet.

Customers must pay a service fee of $1.99 when making a child support payment and have access to a smartphone or computer. 7-Eleven is working with electronic payment provider PayNearMe to complete the transaction. It accepts cash and then posts the payments electronically.

Michigan is the fifth state to offer the ability to pay child support at retail locations. Other retailers could soon join the program, Frisch told the AP.

“My goal in child support is to try to get consistent, reliable payments for families,” Frisch said. “Anytime we can give folks another opportunity, we’re going to take advantage of it.”

The program is of no cost to taxpayers.

Full instructions on how to complete a child support payment transaction is located at the Michigan State Disbursement Unit website here

Family Dollar Corp. is offering the service in Michigan as well.

Irving, Texas-based 7-Eleven Inc. owns, operates and franchises more than 10,000 North American convenience stores. 

This ad will auto-close in 10 seconds