From Bananas to Egg Rolls, Pilot Flying J Reveals the Most Popular Items by State
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — In honor of one of the top summer travel weeks over the July 4 holiday, Pilot Flying J analyzed the top 20 most popular food and beverage items by state.
Using its 2017 sales data, the travel center operator identified a variety of interesting best sellers.
Highlights from the list of favorites include:
- Pilot Coffee ranked among the top five food and beverage sellers in every state.
- Thirty-seven states go bananas for bananas, and Florida, Texas, Georgia and Indiana each sold more than 300,000 in the last year.
- Pepperoni is the favorite PJ Fresh pizza flavor, making the top 20 list in 36 states.
- Egg rolls are popular with Minnesotans, who bought more than residents of any other state.
- Side dishes are popular in Massachusetts, and favorite PJ Fresh sides include green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, and macaroni and cheese.
- Hot dogs are a top pick in six states: Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Maryland and West Virginia
"It's clear our guests have diverse tastes across the country," said Whitney Haslam Johnson, chief experience officer for Pilot Flying J. "As a mother of three, I understand the need for variety and choice, especially on the road. Fortunately for summer travelers, Pilot Flying J's large assortment of food and beverage offerings provide solutions for their road trip cravings, no matter what their tastes."
Along with the restaurant franchises available in many locations, Pilot Flying J also offers the fast-casual dining experience PJ Fresh Marketplace, which offers high-quality, on-the-go food options that are made in-house daily, such as salads, fruit bowls, freshly made sandwiches and PJ Fresh Pizza.
This summer, Pilot and Flying J travel centers feature a bonus bundle for travelers. From June through August, customers can purchase any fresh food item and get a large fountain drink for $1 or a slice of PJ Fresh pizza for $2.
Knoxville-based Pilot Flying J operates more than 750 locations across 44 states.