LOS ANGELES — Chocolate pairings and fruit flavors generated considerable new product buzz in July, as established consumer packaged goods (CPG) brands experimented with new combinations, according to market research firm Instantly Inc.'s July Shelf Score report. The monthly report ranks the top 10 new CPG products hitting supermarket and convenience store shelves by consumer intent to purchase.
Reese's Snack Mix topped the list for the second month in a row at 79-percent purchase intent, followed by Jif Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars at 68 percent.
Fruit flavors, particularly citrus and berry, also proved popular in new products ranging from yogurt to cookies to ice cream.
The top 10 new products and their purchase intent scores for July were:
- Reese's Snack Mix — 79 percent
- Jif Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars — 68 percent
- Clif Bar Berry Pomegranate Chia — 63 percent
- Popsicle Tootsie Pop Treats — 62 percent
- Chobani Flip Strawberry Summer Crisp — 59 percent
- Doritos Dinamita Mojo Criollo Flavored Rolled Tortilla Chips — 57 percent
- Campbell's Organic Chicken Tortilla Soup — 55 percent
- Post Ice Cream Pebbles: Rainbow Sherbet — 52 percent
- Lemon Twist Oreo — 51 percent
- Kellogg's Origins Fruit and Seed Muesli: Raisin Apricot Cranberry — 47 percent
To determine the scores, 300 consumers evaluate each new product on their mobile devices at home or in-store via the Instantly Concept Test platform, which collects feedback on key success indicators such as purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.