Comfort Food Inspires Top New CPG Products of May 2015
LOS ANGELES — Consumer packaged goods (CPG) brands are embracing change and transforming food and beverages with new flavor profiles and product lines inspired by comfort food.
According to the May 2015 Shelf Score from market researcher Instantly, CPG companies are responding to consumers’ growing interest in comfort foods — like grilled cheese, pizza and brownies — and transforming them into kid-friendly food and beverage products. Notably, new products with the highest purchase intent scores for the month included: Goldfish Puffs Twisted Grilled Cheese and Rold Gold Fudge Brownie Flavored Pretzel Dippers.
CPG brands are also branching out of their established categories and innovating new flavors, as evidenced by Doritos, Clif and Honey Bunches of Oats’ new product success with consumers.
Overall, the top new CPG products for May were:
- Goldfish Puffs: Twisted Grilled Cheese
- Rold Gold Fudge Brownie Flavored Pretzel Dippers
- Ghirardelli Chocolate Vanilla Premium Flavored Powder Base
- Honey Bunches of Oats Breakfast Biscuits: Chocolate Chip
- Doritos Roulette Chips
- Campbell’s Soups for Easy Cooking: Sweet Onion
- Mountain Dew DEWshine
- Starbucks Doubleshot Coffee & Protein
- Pepperidge Farm Chocolate Chili Milano Cookies
- Clif Organic Energy Food: Pizza Margherita
The Shelf Score ranks the top 10 new CPG products on supermarket and convenience store shelves by consumer intent to purchase. To determine each score, 300 consumers evaluate each new product on their mobile devices at home or in-store via the Instantly Concept Test platform, which collects feedback on key success indicators such as purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.
Instantly is a Los Angeles-based market research firm.