Inventive Items Lead December's New CPG Products
LOS ANGELES — Creative flavors, holiday-themed treats and inventive new products are among the items most intriguing consumers during the coldest time of year, according to market research firm Instantly Inc.'s latest Shelf Score report. The monthly report ranks the top 10 new consumer packaged goods hitting supermarket and convenience store shelves by consumer intent to purchase.
Snacking was a big part of consumers' agenda in December 2015, with Popchips' Cheddar and Sour Cream Potato topping the list of new products at a 74-percent purchase intent, followed by Annie's Variety 12 Snack Packs at 65 percent.
Other standouts for the month included Hostess Merry Minty Holiday Cakes (58-percent purchase intent) and Sap on Tap Maple Water (37 percent).
The top 10 new products and their purchase intent scores for December were:
- Popchips' Cheddar and Sour Cream Potato — 74 percent
- Annie's Variety 12 Snack Packs — 65 percent
- Sara Lee Caramel Cakes — 64 percent
- Marzetti Garlic Parmesan Veggie Drizzle — 60 percent
- Hostess Merry Minty Holiday Cakes — 58 percent
- Chobani Greek Yogurt Flip: Peppermint Perfection — 58 percent
- Kroger Limited Edition Mini Quiche: Applewood Smoked Bacon — 57 percent
- Skinnygirl Vanilla Bean Sundae Protein Shake — 56 percent
- Armour Sandwich Creations: Shredded Chicken in Taco Sauce — 44 percent
- Sap on Tap Maple Water — 37 percent
To determine the scores each month, 300 consumers evaluate each new product on their mobile devices at home or in-store via the Instantly Concept Test platform, which collects feedback on key success indicators such as purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.