Oreo Celebrates 100 Years
NORTHFIELD, Ill. -- On March 6, 1912, two embossed chocolate biscuits got together with cream filling for the first time and the Oreo cookie was born. One hundred years later, Oreo is celebrating the classic cookie's milestone with a Facebook gallery, "flash birthday parties" and more.
"In today's hectic world, people have more responsibilities and pressures than ever before," said John Ghingo, senior director for OREO Global. "Despite this, the simple act of enjoying an OREO cookie and glass of milk continues to speak to a universal, human truth: inside all of us, whether grown-up or still growing, there's a kid that deserves to be set free every once in a while."
Oreo fans of all ages are invited to celebrate their inner child at Oreo.com/birthday or at the Oreo Facebook page by posting a photo, story or video to the OREO Moments Gallery, where the "Million Moments Meter" will track submissions.
It isn't just a U.S. celebration, either -- more than 100 international birthday events will take place in nearly two dozen countries:
- In China, a grand fireworks show will take place at the Shanghai Bund, where the Oriental Pearl tower will turn "Oreo blue." A celebration tour bus will bring games and activities, including a jungle gym, trampoline and "Bungie Dunking," to 100 cities and towns.
- In Indonesia, a specially constructed park, courtesy of Oreo, will include a large playground for everyone to enjoy.
- In Canada, a surprise gift in the Toronto Eaton Centre will kick off festivities.
- In Venezuela, fans can celebrate Oreo's birthday by breaking dozens of piñatas.
- In the Middle East, Oreo will bring consumers from Riyadh, Jeddah, Dammam and Dubai together to enjoy party games and birthday cake, and a celebration will be held at the world's largest shopping mall in Dubai.
- And finally, in the United States, Oreo will hold surprise "flash birthday parties" in seven cities. Festivities will include a concert with a special guest in Los Angeles and a celebration on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C.
These celebrations will be shared in real-time on Oreo's Facebook, the company said.
Additionally, new Birthday Cake Oreo cookies will debut, featuring colorful sprinkles in the cream filling, and the cookies themselves will be embossed with a special birthday design. To support Oreo's birthday and the special-edition cookie, a global advertising campaign will include digital, in-store, print and television promotions. The print ads will feature Oreos in some of the most iconic moments of the past century.
Throughout the year, Oreo fans will have the chance to be named the "Birthday of the Day" on Oreo's Facebook page, and can also choose to send personalized birthday cards, featuring a song by country group Lady Antebellum, from the page to their loved ones.
Lastly, Oreo will host a multinational event in New York City featuring representatives from 13 countries this fall. Each "AmbassadOREO" will pledge to continue Oreo's birthday mission of spreading childlike delight in their home communities.