Shell Launches #Makethefuture Clean-Energy Campaign
THE HAGUE, Netherlands — Royal Dutch Shell plc introduced the #makethefuture campaign, which is intended to advance a movement toward cleaner energy ideas.
To reach this goal, the oil company is bringing to life innovations from six smart energy startups. These ideas will be showcased in Rio de Janeiro's Santa Marta community in Brazil, before the technologies are installed in communities that require urgent access to cleaner energy.
"I'm personally inspired by the ingenuity of these innovators, and the ambition to forge a brighter energy future for our planet," said Royal Dutch Shell CEO Ben van Beurden. "Collaboration and entrepreneurialism are essential to finding energy solutions that can enable development and a decent way of life for people across the world while reducing carbon dioxide emissions. These values are central to our #makethefuture campaign to help achieve a better energy future together."
The innovations to be exhibited in Brazil include:
- bio-bean — Explores how to reduce the UK's CO2 emissions from transport by turning coffee dregs into a sustainable transport fuel;
- Capture Mobility — Demonstrates how roadside turbulence from cars and trucks can generate clean power for local communities;
- GravityLight — Improves health and wellbeing in energy deprived communities by using a simple pulley and weight system to generate electricity;
- MotionECO — Uses waste cooking oil to help to create a market for renewable diesel in China (in transport, public services and logistics) and discourage the harmful reuse of cooking oil; and
- Pavegen — Converts power from footsteps into renewable energy that can power a community.
International musicians are also joining the cleaner energy movement by performing in the "Best Day of My Life" interactive music video. These musicians include Oscar-winner Jennifer Hudson, Luan Santana and Pixie Lott.
Netherlands-based Royal Dutch Shell's companies have operations in more than 70 countries and territories with businesses including oil and gas exploration and production; production and marketing of liquefied natural gas and gas to liquids; manufacturing, marketing and shipping of oil products and chemicals and renewable energy projects.