Top Spring Cleaning Tips for Retailers
CINCINNATI, Ohio -- Spring weather often means spring cleaning. To mark the new season, specialized facility services provider Cintas Corp. released a list of the top ways retailers can refresh and revitalize their stores.
"While this winter has been mild in comparison to past winters, considerable dirt and grime can build up over the cold weather months," said Brian Garry, senior director of marketing for Cintas. "Spring is an ideal time for retailers to go beyond their routine cleaning program and give the facility a revitalizing deep clean."
The company’s essential spring cleaning tips include:
- Focus on flooring -- A deep-cleaning service can combine high-pressure steam, agitation, heat and extraction to remove dry particulate soil that's built up over the winter. This helps put off eventual flooring replacement costs.
- Clean air conditioning units -- Most A/C units go unused during colder months, but putting dormant machines back into service without removing dirt, grime and built-up sludge can cause lingering odors, allergies, premature unit failure and high energy bills.
- Refresh restrooms -- Daily cleaning is essential, but dirt and bacteria build up over time, and a deep cleaning service can sanitize all restroom surfaces and fixtures using a high-pressure, chemical injection washer.
- Go green with Spring -- Most U.S. consumers prefer that companies use environmentally-friendly products and practices, according to a recent Harris Interactive survey. Retailers can choose Green Seal-certified products or products that meet requirements for the Environmental Protection Agency's Design for the Environment Program, as well as use greener cleaning methods such as dilution control chemical dispensers and reusable mops or wipes.
- Assess building state -- Take some time to focus on smaller details and minor repairs in your store. Changing dead lightbulbs and repainting walls can add a lot to a store's overall appearance. Retailers should consider partnering with a vendor capable of handling common handyman tasks.
"Seasonal weather patterns and fluctuations in customer activity can dramatically affect the cleanliness of a store," Garry stated. "By taking measures to proactively adjust cleaning programs and spring clean their stores, retailers and store operators can refresh the image of their store and make sure they are prepared for spring."