Wawa's Foodservice Ops Earn Silver Plate Award
WAWA, Pa. — Wawa Inc. can now add Silver Plate Award winner to its list of accolades, taking home the 2017 Silver Plate for Retail & Specialty Foodservice.
The convenience store retailer was one among eight 2017 Silver Plate Winners of the annual International Foodservice Manufacturers Association (IFMA) Gold & Silver Plate Awards.
Silver Plate winners are nominated by IFMA members and industry leaders, then selected by a distinguished panel comprised of national trade press, foodservice experts and past Gold and Silver Plate Award winners. Wawa President and CEO Chris Gheysens was nominated for the category by Nestlé Professional.
"For 63 years now, the Gold & Silver Plate awards have been the pinnacle award for individual excellence in our foodservice industry," said IFMA President and CEO Larry Oberkfell. "The 2017 Silver Plate Class continues this excellent record with winners that demonstrate the best of our industry. All eight set the standard in their respective segments and we honor them as the best of the best."
The seven remaining 2017 Silver Plate winners are:
- Independent Restaurants/Multi-Concept: Wolfgang Puck, chef/owner, Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group (nominated by Nestlé Professional)
- Chain Full Service: G.J. Hart, executive chairman & CEO, California Pizza Kitchen (nominated by Wayne Farms)
- Chain Limited Service: Chris Newcomb, co-founder, president & CEO, Newk's Eatery (nominated by Wenner Bakery)
- Health Care: Patti Oliver, director of nutrition, UCLA Health (nominated by Hobart Corp. & Basic American Foods)
- Elementary & Secondary Schools: Betti Wiggins, executive director, office of school nutrition, Detroit Public Schools (nominated by Schwan's Food Service)
- Colleges & Universities: Ted Faulkner, director of dining services, Virginia Tech (nominated by Basic American Foods)
- Business & Industry/Foodservice Management: Jeff Metz, president & CEO, Metz Culinary Management (nominated by Basic American Foods
The 2017 Silver Plate Winners were unveiled by the 2016 Gold Plate Honoree Rafi Taherian, associate vice president, Yale Hospitality at Yale University, at the annual IFMA Chain Operators EXchange in Las Vegas.
One 2017 Silver Plate winner will be named recipient of the coveted Golden Plate Award. The Golden Plate winner will be announced by way of secret ballot at the 63rd Annual Gold & Silver Plate Awards Celebration taking place Saturday, May 20, during National Restaurant Association Week at the Revel Fulton Market in Chicago’s West Loop neighborhood.
Headquartered in Pennsylvania, Wawa operates more than 740 convenience stores in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Florida.