John W. McDonald was named a corporate vice president for San Francisco-based ChevronTexaco Corp. He replaces Patricia Yarrington, who was recently named vice president of public and government affairs, and will head the company's strategic planning activities.
Kroger Bolsters Management Team
The Kroger Co., Cincinnati, named five veteran executives to key management positions within the company.
* Robert E. Zincke has been promoted to senior vice president, with responsibility for several retail divisions. He has held a number of significant positions during his 38-year career at Kroger. For the past 12 years, he has been president of Kroger's Southwest Division, which operates 212 stores in Texas and Louisiana. He joined Kroger as a management trainee in 1964.
* William H. Breetz Jr. was promoted to president of Kroger's Southwest Division. He has been executive vice president of that division for two years, with responsibility for operations. Prior to that, he served as vice president of merchandising for Kroger's Cincinnati Division. Breetz joined Kroger as a clerk in 1972 and later was promoted to store management and merchandising positions. He will be based in Houston.
* Darrell Webb, was appointed president of Fred Meyer Stores, which operates 133 stores in five western states and is based in Portland, Ore. He has 22 years of experience with Fred Meyer and Kroger. Since 1999, he has served as president of Quality Food Centers, a division of Kroger that operates 86 stores in Washington and Oregon. Prior to that, Webb was group vice president of national procurement for Kroger, with responsibility for integrating buying and merchandising strategies across the company. He joined Fred Meyer in 1980 as a management trainee in store operations.
* Michael J. Donnelly has been promoted from group vice president to senior vice president, with continued responsibility for drug/GM merchandising and procurement. Before being named group vice president in 2001, Donnelly had been president of Fry's, a division of Kroger based in Arizona, since March 2000. Prior to that, he served as vice president of merchandising at Fry's for five years. He began his career at Fry's Food Stores of California in 1978.
* Katie Wolfram has been promoted to vice president of the Grocery Products Group. In her new position, she will be responsible for overseeing 10 Kroger food processing facilities in nine states. Wolfram joined Kroger in 1979 as a management trainee in the Cincinnati division and later spent three years as a grocery buyer. After spending seven years in merchandising technology and consumer research, Wolfram was appointed marketing manager in Kroger's Manufacturing Group in 1991.
Hershey Foods Corp. announced that David J. West, senior vice president of business planning and development, has been named senior vice president of sales, effective Dec. 1. Milton T. Matthews, vice president and chief customer officer, announced plans to retire in 2004. Effective Dec. 1, as part of an orderly transition process, Matthews will report to West.
Hershey also reported that Dennis Eshleman, vice president of brand integration, has been named vice president of strategy and innovation, effective Dec. 1
Burger King Corp., Miami, announced the formation of a new franchise operations group to support its largest franchisees. The new National Accounts Group will be led by Joe Soraci, who is being promoted to senior vice president, national accounts. Soraci has spent the past four years as a regional vice president for first the east coast, and, most recently, for the western region. Burger King said the move is designed as part of the company's ongoing strategy to provide the appropriate franchisee-focused operations resources to its franchise system.
Tamar Bernbaum has been appointed director of shaver marketing for Milford, Conn.-based BIC Consumer Products USA.
New President at National Beverage
Joseph Caporella was elected to the presidency of Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.-based National Beverage Corp. He is responsible for overseeing National Beverages day-to-day operations focusing on sales, marketing and product development.
St. Louis-based Aurora Foods Inc., a producer and marketer of leading food brands, named Thomas M. Hudgins to the company?s Board of Directors.
Judith Cassel was promoted to vice president of the retail division for Mount Joy, Pa.-based SICO Co., a wholesale distributor of petroleum products.
ABOVE: ChevronTexaco Corp.'s John W. McDonald.