NATIONAL REPORT — Giving back through community service efforts and charitable donations is a positive force that keeps many retailers and suppliers of this industry moving ahead. On a regular basis, Convenience Store News highlights these philanthropic efforts in this special section.
Here are the latest company spotlights:
CITGO Petroleum Corp.
CITGO, the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s (MDA) largest corporate sponsor, raised more than $14 million in 2018 to transform the lives of individuals living with muscular dystrophy, ALS and related neuromuscular diseases with breakthrough therapies and innovations in care.
Throughout the year, CITGO employees, marketers and retailers hosted more than 100 fundraising events and sponsored a number of local MDA events, including:
- MDA Corporate Golf Challenge in April;
- Presenting sponsor for the MDA New York Muscle Team gala;
- Golf tournaments hosted by Lake Charles, Lemont and Corpus Christi refineries;
- St. Patrick's Day bowling event and the Chicago Muscle Team event hosted by the Lemont refinery;
- Walks, golf tournaments, letter writing and other donation campaigns organized by terminal employees;
- MDA Shamrocks program, for which CITGO marketers remain the number one seller; and
- Founding Sponsor of MDA Team Momentum, the MDA endurance initiative, since 2013.
"We have partnered with MDA over the last 30-plus years because we share similar values and believe in what the organization is doing — working to find a cure for these devastating diseases. Through our continued efforts, we hope to be at the forefront when MDA discovers that cure," said CITGO Executive Vice President Rick Esser.
CITGO has contributed $240 million to MDA since the two organizations began working together in January 1986.