Pumpkin Spice Finds Prominence in September’s Top New Products
LOS ANGELES — Pumpkin spice — the flavor synonymous with the fall season — generated considerable new product hype in September, according to market research firm Instantly Inc.’s latest Shelf Score report. The monthly report ranks the top 10 new consumer product goods (CPGs) hitting supermarket and convenience store shelves by consumer intent to purchase.
Although cherry- and apple-flavored CPGs topped the September list, pumpkin spice was most prominent among the top 10 new products. Archer Farms, Coffee-Mate, Kellogg’s and M&M’S all introduced new products with pumpkin spice, therefore making it the overwhelming flavor profile among the top 10 new items.
September’s ranking also saw brands tied for several positions. For instance, Dole Fruitocracy and Archer Farms tied for the No. 3 ranking at 59-percent purchase intent, while Aunt Jemima and Coffee-Mate tied at No. 6, and Gerber Graduates and M&M’S tied at No. 9.
The top 10 new products and their purchase intent scores for September were:
- Chobani Indulgent: Cherry and Dark Chocolate — 66 percent
- Special K: Apple Cinnamon Crunch — 65 percent
- Dole Fruitocracy Apple Squeezable Fruit Pouch — 59 percent
- Archer Farms Pumpkin Spice Scone Mix — 59 percent
- Duncan Hines Perfect Size Cake: Lemon Bliss — 57 percent
- Aunt Jemima Griddle Melts — 56 percent
- Coffee-Mate Pumpkin Spice — 56 percent
- Kellogg’s Mini-Wheats: Pumpkin Spice — 55 percent
- Gerber Graduates lil’ Pasta with Hidden Veggies — 52 percent
- Pumpkin Spice Latte M&M’S — 52 percent
To determine the scores each month, 300 consumers evaluate each new product on their mobile devices at home or in-store via the Instantly Concept Test platform, which collects feedback on key success indicators such as purchase intent, differentiation, need/desire and value.