Top Women in Convenience: Mentors
NATIONAL REPORT — The Convenience Store News Top Women in Convenience program celebrates a diverse array of women — from retailer, supplier and wholesaler companies — making a positive impact in the convenience retail channel.
This year’s judging panel selected 22 senior-level leaders, five mentors, 18 rising stars, five store managers and three single-store owners to receive the esteemed title of Top Women in Convenience for 2015. Like last year, the panel also chose five nominees as the best of the best from among all the nominations and awarded them the title of Women of the Year.
Here are the 2015 honorees in the mentors category:
Senior Customer Accounts Manager, U.S. Oil/U.S. Venture Inc.
• Bevers has held several roles during her 29 years at U.S. Oil. She has a team of six outside customer service reps that she enjoys mentoring.
• Called “mama bear” by some of her reps, Bevers’ goal is to get her team as excited about their careers as she is about hers. Last year, she took the lead on the company’s acquisition of 160 branded dealers to ensure they all felt welcomed and fully supported. She also brought to life an enhanced online customer portal.
Floating Training Manager, Alon Brands Retail
• Farquhar serves as the floating trainer for the Abilene, Texas, region. She has been with Alon since 2002.
• A former store manager, she is the first person managers call when new programs are implemented in the stores. She was one of the key people when the company started scanning, and again when it introduced Pinnacle software. Her peers say she “gives her heart every time she walks into a store.”
• Farquhar is involved in fundraising to purchase service dogs for autistic children. Her grandson is autistic.
Zone Manager, Houston Southeast & Southern Louisiana, CST Brands
• Green joined CST Brands Inc. in May 2013 after more than 30 years with Valero Energy Corp. She has been a store manager, retail auditor, area manager and later promoted to a zone manager in the Southern Region. She has seven direct reports and a work team of 675 people.
• As a mentor, Green shares her wisdom freely with anyone from direct reports to co-workers looking to move up in the organization. “Our employees are our most important asset,” she said.
Product Director, Confection & Snacks, McLane Co. Inc.
• Matos began her career with McLane Co. Inc. in 1999.
• Her current role as product director includes direct oversight and accountability for 22 McLane teammates (two category managers and 20 purchasing specialists).
• Not only does she lead by example, but Matos also has a knack for grooming new McLane teammates and future leaders. Always willing to take time to explain and coach, she is responsible for the growth and development of many current leaders within the McLane organization.
Director, Promotions & Market Research, RaceTrac Petroleum Inc.
• Reed joined RaceTrac in 2009. She assumed her current role in 2012 and leads the charge to inspire, create and direct successful marketing promotions that drive guests to RaceTrac stores.
• She provides mentorship and direction to a team of nine, eight of them women and the majority of them are less than five years into their careers. Under her leadership, 15 of her team members have been promoted.
• Reed’s passion for mentoring extends beyond the job as she volunteers with Everybody Wins, a children’s literacy program.